Skip to main content

Haters Gon' Hate

This post was written before the protests and killing in Charlottesville (and subsequent fallout).  I thought it important for the reader to know that this is not a reaction.


If I'm going to write a blog called “On Morality”, I think it's only fair for the readers that I lay out what I mean by “morality”. So here it is: morality is the understanding of what is right and what is wrong, and the behaviours mandated by that understanding.

This isn't a definition that I pulled from a dictionary, or one employed by any authority on the subject. This is my definition, formed out of my cognitive ruminations, subject to change, open to interpretation. (One of my firmly-held beliefs, reflected in the URL of this blog, is there is a lot of knowledge and understanding to be gained by sitting and pondering.)

Allow me to shift gears abruptly. What I really sat down to write about was the use of the word “hate”. Or rather, the overuse, as I see it, of that word.

I'm seeing “hate” and “hateful” appended to just about every news story on or mention of racism, bigotry, xenophobia, or poor treatment of minorities. This appears not just as I scroll down my Facebook feed, but also with regularity among the mainstream media. Certainly, “hate” can be the motivation behind disgusting acts of violence and discrimination. But I am wondering about the impetus behind its increased usage (sometimes when it doesn't seem to be the most accurate descriptor of a person's actions or emotional state). And it's being used in interesting new ways and marked syntactic structures, ones that seem to suggest that the use of the word itself is alone sufficient explanation of the situation and justification of its usage: “we will not tolerate hate”, “this act of hate”, “saying things that are so clearly hateful”, “broadcasting hate across the country”.

(The perfectly suitable noun “hatred” is apparently no longer up to the task of such frequent repetition.)

You say someone's comment is “hateful”, and you no longer have to explain yourself - it simply is hateful and the commenter is not to be listened to. You condemn a politician's “hate”, and it is pointless to discuss her actions and taboo to critically evaluate her proposed policies. These “magic words” allow you to simply end all conversation. It is the new and fashionable way of implementing Orwell's thoughtcrime: we may not normally be comfortable calling ourselves mind readers, but when it comes to hate, we know exactly how another person feels and thinks and have no trouble condemning them as people, forever corrupt and irredeemable.

I suspect that people who speak about full-stop-hate do so as a means of verbally linking the matter at hand to “hate crime” and “hate speech”. (These legal terms refer to actions that incite others to violence against a definable group of people.) By linking an event to these terms that they only halfway-understand, they seek (I believe) to declare (incorrectly) that saying horrible things about a certain ethnic group or discriminating between one's “own” and one's “others” is illegal, and it's ridiculous that, in 2017, we even tolerate such clearly wrong-headed actions.

And therein lies the justification for entirely shutting out the condemned.

(I generally agree with most of the judgments I see of bigotry and discrimination as being 'behind the times' and 'disgusting', but at the same time, if someone's preaching intolerance, that's a huge red flag.)


What do I want to see? Better communication between aggrieved parties. Attempts to understand rather than condemn. An end to assumptions that we know another's heart and mind. It's not just the right thing to do, but also, as I see it, the way to send bigotry and unlawful discrimination crawling into their dark corners to finally die.

Comments